After World War II, there was a shortage of affordable homes for veterans. In 1947, a group of veterans had a dream. A group formed and met at Dayton High School. Their hopes were to buy enough land to build 200 to 300 homes. Robert Dodsworth was a businessman and land owner who owned a large farm on what is now Dodsworth Lane. The Vet Village Home Builders Association decided to purchase the land and sell stock to veterans at a low rate. This stock would serve as a down payment on their home. The houses would sell for 15-25% below market value; the average home would sell for $8,750.00.
On March 16, 1947, a 52 acre parcel at the intersection of Uhl and Dodsworth Roads was purchased. Ronald Ferguson and Finley Brooke were hired as architects. The development would consist of a 120 lot subdivision. Groundbreaking took place on July 13, 1947; the first families moved into their new homes in August, 1948.
A story told by many of the first residents to move into Vet Village (as it was called them) was about the "city telephone". Families moved in before telephone lines were installed. There was one pay phone located in what is now the "Big Circle". When it rang, whomever heard it, answered and went to find the party that was wanted.
In 1950, the members of the community decided to form a city. The name chosen was Crestview. In November, 1950, Campbell County Circuit Judge Ray Murphy approved the incorporation of the City of Crestview. The first elected city officials were: William Toner, Charles Raming, Wilbur Lancaster, Blaine Marz and Edward Storer. William Toner was selected as Mayor by the Trustees. Dr. Howard Kaaurish was Police Judge; Mrs. Clyde Wilemon, Treasurer; Walter Ashmore, Marshall; Erwin Smith, Tax Assessor; and Mrs. Robert Williams, Clerk.